Thread: e911 and VoIP
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 07:05 AM
Aspiring Member

fletcherm has 10 reputation points
Arrow

Creise-

You ask some good questions. Let me try to address them for you.
  • a simple configuration in Communication Manager so that a 911 call from IP network region 4 dials a speeddial for City2 Police
Although this is possible, it is a bad idea. This would put a call dialed as 9-1-1over to the administrative lines of the foreign police station. Calls that come in on the admin lines and not the specialized 911 trunks to the PSAP may not be handled correctly, and there would be no screen pop display to the dispatcher showing the caller address information.
  • running a foreign exchange line from City2 to City1 and directing 911 calls for network region 4 out that
This option will certainly work, but I think that you will find the expense diff=icult to justify.
  • registering the numbers used by the City2 employees with (someone) so the correct PSAP gets dialed. All these things are hinted at in the documentation but I haven't been able to pull the threads to figure out how to pursue them.
You are sort of on the right track here. This is commonly known as a VPC or VoIP Positioning Center. The VPC's have connectivity to PSAP's across the US and can provide you with connectivity for your remote workers. I will not dive into how this is done here to save space, but it does work, it is more affordable than FX trunks and will provide you with what you need for just about anyplace in the continental US.

The problem is that the 9-1-1 Selective Router infrastructure in the carrier networks is very geographically specific. Service NEVER crosses a state line, and there are several 9-1-1 services areas in each state (typically). There are states with a single area like, NJ and RI, but there are other states with many like Texas with 18 I think. This makes the local trunking issue extremely difficult to manage and very expensive.

I should point out that Next Generation 9-1-1 is right around the corner where your carrier will be able to provide nationwide 9-1-1 service via SIP trunks. At Avaya, we are building the technology on the PBX side to generate the NG911 SIP headers, the Emergency Service Routing Proxy (ESRP) at the carrier level to route the NG 911 calls, and the NG 911 PSAP gear to answer the inbound.

You may want to consider some professional services from Avaya or a consultant to do a risk analysis, 9-1-1 evaluation and remediation plan recommendation for you. It's money well spent when you consider the cost of doing it wrong could be someones life.

Feel free to reach out to me directly if you want to chat further. There are some great videos I did back at Nortel that are on YouTube that explain how E9-1-1 works. They are very generic, and apply to Avaya as well, although I have not had the chance to re-brand them yet. Just search on Nortel E911 and you should find them on YouTube.

Fletch
E-1-1 Product Manager
fletcherm@avaya.com

Last edited by fletcherm; 05-31-2010 at 07:07 AM. Reason: spelling and grammar