View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Aspiring Member

djuris has 10 reputation points
Default Yes, from a broad business perspective

Your message summarizes the possibilities nicely. Smart phones are attracting this functionality quickly for early adopters, but I find that in our business some clients are still stuck in 1980's technology just for telephony. I doubt Avaya will lead the way with SIP apps any more aggressively than it did with VOIP. I expect innovators like Google's Android to impel the cutting edge advances in wireless, ubiquitous, SIP, consumer apps. Avaya will position itself for enterprises conservatively.

If you subscribe to Current Analysis, permit me to recommend that you read the most recent report on this subject, which I abstracted below.

Market Advisory Report:Impact of Social Networking on Enterprise CommunicationsReport Date:July 02, 2010Analyst:Riggs, BrianMarket:Contact Center Solutions , Enterprise Communications

"Social media and social networking tools are playing an increasing role in the way businesses communicate. This takes many well-documented and generally understood forms: employees leveraging Twitter, Yammer or other publicly available microblogging tools for conversations that might be business-related, personal or a combination of both; corporations establishing a Facebook presence to interact with business partners, customers and prospects; contact center and marketing personnel monitoring social media to detect and/or resolve customer support problems. Employers have responded to the grass-roots adoption of social media in the workplace by embracing it warmly, banning it completely or something in between. The various ways social media has been adopted in business settings and the various ways businesses are deriving benefits from it have a parallel in the various ways in which developers of business communications solutions are integrating social media with their solution sets. This advisory will detail some of the ways forward-thinking vendors are today integrating social media software into their business communications and contact center platforms. However it is important to note that such integrations remain in their infancy. In several cases integrated solutions are not yet generally available; use cases for them are still being sought; and early adopters have yet to be signed up. The market for such solutions and the solutions themselves will change dramatically in coming years as products mature, businesses devise clearer social media strategies and developers guide their enterprise customers in how to best integrate social media and business communications."