Default B179 Freezes Using ERS4500 Switch

System details:
IP500V2 running 8.0.66
Switch:
Avaya 4548GT-PWR
HW:20 FW:5.3.0.3 SW:v5.6.5.012
Phone:
B179: v2.3.9

Customer has three B179s, and after running for about 24 hours they will start freezing at random intervals. This doesn’t happen right at the 24-hour mark but generally starts happening around then. It is difficult to use Monitor since it is never clear exactly what time they freeze. The B179s will become completely unresponsive and appear to be working until you try to use one of them. We have swapped out everything except the control unit, which is my next step, but I am doubtful this will fix the issue. So I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this issue.

The B179s do not have any special configuration except they operate on a voice VLAN. The IPs are static. I’ve tried using power bricks instead of PoE from the switch and PoE was shut off on the ports they were connected to while the power bricks were in place. We have taken out a new B179 which did the same thing. I’ve recently replaced the Avaya switch. Firmware is all updated. The one time I was able to narrow down in monitor where one froze. All I see is the below entry in Monitor

747475227mS SIP Rx: UDP 192.168.100.9:5060 -> 192.168.100.1:5060

I will see this entry every so often until it becomes more and more infrequent. Then just disappears. And the B179 screen is frozen and unresponsive until rebooted. Any helpful insight is appreciated.

Best Regards,

-JW
Old 06-19-2014, 01:00 PM
Aspiring Member

jwheat77 has 10 reputation points

UPDATE - I recently replaced the control unit, and connected the B179s to an unmanaged switch on the second NIC of the control unit. So far, the B179s have not frozen in this configuration. I will be reconnecting them to the switch to see if it is a switch issue, or the control unit.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:27 PM
Aspiring Member

ikhali has 10 reputation points

Any fix I am experiencing the same issue with Avaya ERS4850 and B179
Old 11-29-2016, 12:57 PM
Aspiring Member

ggravel has 10 reputation points

Try this:
https://support.avaya.com/ext/index?...&id=SOLN299174
Old 01-14-2017, 01:59 AM
Guru

aa1 has 24 reputation pointsaa1 has 24 reputation points
Solution Delivered PSN PSN004896u

Take a look at this

https://downloads.avaya.com/css/P8/documents/101032845

Name of problem
B179 with 2.4 or later releases freezes or becomes unresponsive, when Link Layer Discovery Protocol (LLDP) is enabled on the switch port.

Products affected
B179 with 2.4 or later

Problem description
B179 running 2.4 or later release, with LLDP enabled on switch port becomes unresponsive or freezes after sometime. A reboot is required make the phone working again.

Resolution
- Install patch 2.4.2.12 (encryption disabled),
Or
- install the patch 2.4.13 (encryption enabled)

Workaround or alternative remediation
Disable LLDP on switch port where the phone is connected.

Tags
b179, ers, freeze, frozen, ip office