Avaya Support Forums  

Go Back   Avaya Support Forums > Avaya Networking Products

Old 02-26-2014, 08:21 AM
Aspiring Member

radera has 10 reputation points
Question BES 1010 Console

In trying to learn these switches, it seems I have changed the setting that controls the management vlan as I can no longer ping the switch or access the web GUI, but all devices plugged into the switch are still working.

I tried connecting to the console and all I get is a blank screen. Any documentation/manuals I have found on the web state terminal settings etc needed and you should I believe see a menu. I don't get anything.

So what am I doing wrong? I'm guessing the only way to fix this is using a console cable.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2014, 10:45 AM
Aspiring Member

radera has 10 reputation points

Dang, over 1000 views and no one can help. I called support and wont troubleshoot it, all they did was send me a replacement switch.

I figured out what I did, I changed the management vlan from 1 to 200 which is another one we had on it. The bad part is I don't think that vlan has any IPs associated with it. I don't have a copy of the config, so I don't even know what ports are assigned to what vlan.

I downloaded the Business element manager and it see all the other ones, but that is from scanning the IP range.

I can't get a console term going with this test switch I have. What good is the console port if it can't easy be used. Tried using putty and teraterm. I have the PC end set to 9600/8/none/1. You would think at least during the switch booting it would show something, but nothing.

I'm using a db9 straight thru cable which the admin guide states.

Please please any help. There has to be a nortel switch guy on here that has done this before.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2014, 05:35 AM
Guru

rbrookes has 10 reputation points

A 1000 views and still no solution - this one seems like a good puzzle - and I like a good puzzle.

Sounds to me like you are on the right track trying to use a console cable and connect via the serial port. Also sounds like you have read page 211 of this document - http://downloads.avaya.com/css/P8/documents/100097200

So I'm not sure why it's not working for you. Even though the manual says use a straight thru cable, I would try putting a null modem adapter on the cable to see if that works. It might be the DCE and DTE configuration of the ports are not what you think they are - a null modem adapter is the quickest way to overcome this in many cases.

If that doesn't work I'd look at the flow control and the pin outs of the ports and cables in conjunction with DTE AND DCE definitions. Also check flow control - I see the manual says it should be disabled. Page 211 also gives a link to pinouts for the BES console port.

Also I'd make sure to hit the "carriage return" key (enter key) a few times when trying to establish serial communication. It's fairly common for auto-baud functionality to establish baud rate and parity settings by assuming it's receiving a carriage return character and adjusting settings until the data it's receiving finally looks like a carriage return character.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:42 PM
Brainiac

rameshng has 16 reputation pointsrameshng has 16 reputation points
Exclamation

If you are sure about the console cable, Have you pressed Ctrl+Y Key. All baystack switches "Enter" key wont work in getting the first screen. you need to press Ctrl + Y