Avaya Support Forums

Avaya Support Forums (http://support.avaya.com/forums/index.php)
-   Avaya Networking Products (http://support.avaya.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Backup Failures (Bulk Configuration Manager) (http://support.avaya.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5912)

jborwi 01-15-2015 03:37 AM

Backup Failures (Bulk Configuration Manager)

Hello,
  • I'm using Bulk Configuration Manager within Configuration and Orchestration Manager to backup our 4000/5000 series switches.
  • 2 out of the 71 nightly backups are failing with the following error message...
    • Error: Unknow device response while performing backup: [% Contacting TFTP host., % Writing configuration file. Current physical ID is 1, % Writing configuration file. Current phyiscal ID is 2, % Intra-stack communication failure., Operation aborted.
  • Telnet connectivity to the device, and device credentials have been tested.
  • Has anyone seen this error before?
  • Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

sprigent 01-19-2015 06:31 AM

Hi.
I have seen this error in stack where base where temporary (eg unit 2 instead of unit 1)
check if stack is ok , and try a direct transfert to TFTP server .

jborwi 01-19-2015 07:27 AM

Thanks for your reply. I will check and let you know.
Thank you.

jborwi 01-19-2015 07:36 AM

One out of the 2 failed backup devices has a "temporary" base unit. I'll give it a reboot and test the backup again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UNIT# Switch Model Cascade Up Cascade Down
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 4548GT-PWR OK OK
2 (Temporary Base)4548GT-PWR OK OK
3 4548GT-PWR OK OK
4 4548GT-PWR OK OK

sprigent 01-20-2015 02:18 AM

That's probably the reason for that stack.I have noticed that in this case the ascii backup was ok but not the bin.And unfortunately to recover the base , a reboot of the entire stack is necessary.For the second stack, is the stack OK (fully redondant ?)

dmertz 02-09-2015 11:38 AM

I received this error multiple times as well while using the Configuration Backup and Restore Portlet within BCM.

I performed a backup on all of our ERS 4800 Edge Switch stacks (~400 switches). For some reason, there were seven switch stacks that produced the same error that jborwi noted in the beginning of the post.
  • The SNMP credentials are correct
  • Telnet is functioning normally
What I ended up doing is creating a new task for those individual stacks, and after a few tries it finally worked.

Quote:

That's probably the reason for that stack.I have noticed that in this case the ascii backup was ok but not the bin.And unfortunately to recover the base , a reboot of the entire stack is necessary.For the second stack, is the stack OK (fully redondant ?)
For reference, I went back and checked the health of each stack to make sure that there were no temporary bases assigned. I found that all of the stacks were fine.

So I think it's possible that stack health could be causing issues in some cases, but there could be other reasons at play. I have no idea what those reasons are, but I just wanted to share my experience.

Maybe someone else might have some more insight.